Antipodeans Abroad founder, Colin Carpenter, a teacher for 24 years, organised his first school cricket tour to New Zealand in 1978, and his first school expedition to the Himalayas in 1980. He’s been managing overseas school travel ever since.
Antipodeans Abroad was created in 1991 initially offering school tours and sporting festivals. In time school expeditions, gap years and university placements were added to our portfolio. As Australia’s original schools’ expedition company, we focus on young people and education. Our strength is our understanding of schools, our tailor-made itineraries, our in-country knowledge, and our personalized customer service. We have over 20 years of experience managing risk for travelling school groups. See the current list of schools working with Antipodeans Abroad.
OUR FOUR SCHOOL BASED PROGRAMS ARE:
The Expedition Program
Community Service Tours
Risk Management Workshops - for teachers
WHY ANTIPODEANS ABROAD? HOW ARE WE DIFFERENT?
- Australian, family owned, independent, niche, educational travel provider with 20 years of operational experience, not part of an overseas multi-national conglomerate. Our operations are run from Australia - teachers, parents and principals deal with our managers they will have met
- For volunteer expeditions and community service tours we link your school to a village community project, a local school or village infrastructure project
- Our expedition leaders are educators, not tour guides. They will meet your teachers, students and parents on numerous occasions pre-departure to build positive working relationships. We don’t use ‘drop-in, overseas leaders’ to meet your group in-country
- One tour or expedition manager will be assigned to look after all aspects of your tour or expedition. Students, teachers, parents and the Principal will deal with this person once your group comes together
- Flexibility is key - we will design a trip that suits you and your school, not an ‘off-the-shelf’ itinerary. Teachers choose destinations, dates, length, style, outcomes and focus of each tour or expedition
- Risk Management is our speciality. A system developed over 20 years, we provide all compliance documents schools require as well as advice and support for the prevention and management of incidents
- 24-hour back-up system based in Australia. Parents, teachers and principals can call our office at any time and have their call answered. Your tour or expedition manager will coordinate communications to resolve any incident
- Travel Insurance. We offer a comprehensive insurance policy to suit your tour or expedition. If your school has its own policy we will advise on basic cover requirements
- Responsible Travel Policy. We adhere to our responsible travel policy to ensure all our groups and in-country partners act in a responsible and sustainable manner to ensure local communities benefit from our programs
FIND OUT MORE
If you’re a teacher interested in working with Antipodeans Abroad, please email or call us on +61 2 9413 1522