Student volunteer travel
Antipodeans Abroad is an independent family-owned Australian company that has been creating unique student travel experiences for over 20 years. Whether you're at school, taking a gap year or studying at university, our range of educational travel programs will take you to the heart of the local people and their culture making your travel experience rewarding and inspiring.
Our educational travel programs are designed to develop young Australian and New Zealand students through leadership, personal challenge and cultural immersion experiences. We are the original Australian school-based expedition specialist, and have a wealth of experience working with young people in developing countries as well as selected first-world destinations.
OUR COMMUNITY PROJECTS
Our volunteer programs incorporate sustainable, grassroots projects that will enrich your travels and benefit a small community. Our students work and volunteer with local people in the areas of education, health care, social work, conservation, building and renovation.
WHAT SETS US APART?
Our background is in education. Over many years Antipodeans Abroad has built a solid understanding of young people's educational needs. We tailor our programs to suit those changing needs and requirements. Whether you're part of a school group, a gap year student or university student we will provide you with an unforgettable cultural experience.
There are a number of reasons why Antipodeans Abroad is one of the leading volunteer travel providers:
- Over 20 years experience working with young people in developing countries
- Australian family owned and operated
- We work exclusively with young people
- We employ experienced Australian Leaders
- Our background is in education - founder, Colin Carpenter was a teacher for 24 years
- Easy to contact Australian head office in Sydney
- Intensive pre-departure preparation and training for all students
- You will be assigned your own personal manager
- Extensive risk management experience and practice, ensuring all placements are structured and well-managed
- You’re not alone! Our students always travel with a group of other Antipodeans Abroad volunteers. Group size ranges from 4-20 depending on destination
- Professional and experienced in-country partners to facilitate and support all volunteer placements
- 24-hour support and back-up for the duration of your placement
- 24-hour medical consultant at Travellers' Medical and Vaccination Clinic
A WORD FROM OUR FOUNDER
Antipodeans Abroad founder, Colin Carpenter, organised his first Himalayan expedition for school students more than 30 years ago. He urges young people to go and meet the other tribes of the world; hear their stories, share their hospitality and get to know their culture.
Our unique travel experiences help students to discover a world of opportunity, skills to learn, people to meet, languages to master and trails to follow. They gain understanding and return knowing they have made a difference. The experience changes their view of the world and their place in it. Colin Carpenter
Our partners include: